Large rooms typically require an 8’ x 10 or larger area rug. This size of rug is great for living rooms, great rooms, dining rooms, and master bedrooms. Instead of arranging the furniture and rug in a traditional alignment, a new twist might be to angle the rug underneath; or angle the bed/sofa/dining table and rug to match.
Living rooms / Great rooms:
- An 8’ wide rug can accommodate most dining tables, but add at least 4’ to the length and width of your table measurements to be sure.
- Rugs should extend beyond the chairs in the pulled-out position.
- Balance the area you are trying to define by leaving an equal amount of rug around the furniture grouping.
- An equal amount of exposed flooring around your rug can also give balance to your room.
- In bedrooms, one large rug is luxurious, but the bed will cover most of it. Smaller equal-sized rugs used around the bed are another option. The soft comfort of a rug is most appreciated when stepping in and out of bed.